If you have found severe mold contamination in your home, it is important to act immediately. Mold can cause serious health problems, and it can spread quickly if not properly removed. If you see the mold or suspect you may have mold, it is important to contact a professional mold remediation company to have the mold tested and properly removed.
A Cause for Concern
Mold exposure can cause a number of health problems, including respiratory infections, allergic reactions, and asthma. In people with weakened immune systems, mold can cause more serious problems, including pneumonia and fungal infections. If you have severe mold in your home, it’s important to not only have it properly removed but also prevent it from coming back.
A water damage restoration professional can help you clean up the mold and repair the water damage that caused it. In severe cases, you may need to move out of your home while the work is being done.
If you have health problems that you believe have been made worse by mold exposure, you should get medical advice from your doctor.
Mold is a type of fungi that can grow and spread quickly in dark, moist stagnant environments. Here are a few simple steps you can take to prevent mold:
- Fix any leaks or other sources of moisture. Even a small amount of water can provide enough moisture for mold to grow.
- Keep your home clean and free of clutter. Mold can thrive in dark, damp, and cluttered places.
- Make sure your home is well-ventilated. Mold needs moisture to grow, so good ventilation will help keep your home dry and mold-free.
- Use a dehumidifier in damp areas of your home, such as the basement or bathroom.
- Clean and dry any wet areas of your home immediately. Mold can start growing within 24-48 hours of exposure to moisture.
Taking Care of it Yourself
If you have a small area of mold that is not of a dangerous type, you can clean it with a mixture of bleach and water. Be sure to wear gloves and a mask when doing this and open the windows to ventilate the area. With the right products and a little elbow grease, you can get rid of mold and keep your home healthy.
If your not sure about the mold type, source or severity, it is always best to have it professionally inspected and remediated as soon as possible.